- In 2013, total visitor numbers to Edinburgh from both overseas and within the UK was 3.7 million, with 9.8 million going through the city’s airport, the busiest in Scotland. (VisitScotland and Edinburgh Airport)
- Edinburgh is the most popular city in the UK with international visitors outwith London and in 2013 welcomed 1.3 million overseas visitors. (VisitBritain)
- Spending by overseas visitors in 2013 was £1.7 billion, a rise of almost 20% on the previous year. (VisitBritain)
- The top paid visitor attraction in Scotland is Edinburgh Castle with more than 1.4 million visitors per annum and the National Museum of Scotland (with free admission) is the top visitor attraction outside London with 1.7 million visitors in 2014. (Association of Leading Visitor Attractions)
- In 2013, Edinburgh hotel occupancy was 77.7 per cent, the third highest in Europe, and city hotels reported a nine per cent year-on-year yield growth.
- Edinburgh has more restaurants per head of population than any other UK city outside of London.
Edinburgh By Numbers
For more facts and figures, take a look at Edinburgh by Numbers, a yearly publication that highlights a range of information, statistics and data on Edinburgh and the city region.